Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book Review: Lady in Waiting (Susan Meissner)


I would imagine that, for an author, writing two stories simultaneously and splitting them up so you have part of one story followed by part of the other story, and so on, would be a bit of a challenge. Susan Meissner does it perfectly with her book, Lady in Waiting. The book follows the story of Jane Lindsey, antique store owner, wife and mother who is trying to figure out how to save her marriage, in one part, and the story of Lucy Day, seamstress for Lady Jane Grey, future 9-day Queen of England, in the other.


Jane Lindsey and Jane Grey have something in common: both are waiting for a change in the direction their life is going. Both feel trapped and not able to make a choice as to how their future will play out. Fortunately, Jane Lindsey realizes soon enough that she is able to choose. Unfortunately, Lady Jane Grey realizes too late.

While I enjoyed the book, I found myself most drawn to the sections from Lucy’s perspective about Lady Jane Grey. I was not familiar with Jane Grey before I read this book but I found myself doing some research on her after I finished the book. Lady Jane Grey really was queen of England for 9 days before her cousin, “Bloody” Mary I took over the throne. Sixteen-year-old Jane’s fate was eventually sealed and she realized that even though she thought she never had the right to make choices for herself, she had made the choices that had gotten her to this point in her life and she had to live with those choices.

Jane Lindsey realized that she had control of her life, too. She could choose to constantly wonder why her husband walked out on her and on their marriage, or she could choose to do some things she had always wanted to do and hope to save her marriage in the process.  And in the end, she made the right choice and we are left to believe that things worked out well for Brad and Jane Lindsey.

I found this book to be a fun read. I loved the fact that it incorporated two storylines .And I loved the historical element with the story of Lady Jane Grey.

Many thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Company for providing me with a review copy of this book! Please use this handy ranking tool to rate my review. I would appreciate a 5-star if you think it is worthy. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!